5 Common Household Hazards to Look Out For If You Have Pets

To commemorate National Animal Poison Prevention Week on March 19 to 25, our team would like to bring awareness of some everyday household items that are dangerous for pets.

#1: Medications

Animals, especially food-motivated dogs that are prone to scavenge and sniff out pills, can easily ingest a wide range of medications, from their owner’s prescription heart medication to an entire pack of beef-flavored heartworm preventives. As these overdoses could prove fatal for your pet, it is important that contact be made with an animal poison control hotline as soon as possible in the event they happen. Therefore always keep medicine away from pets and make sure visitors do the same when staying at your home!

#2: Food

With countless delectable temptations, the kitchen can be a dangerous place for your pet. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol-based products, avocados, and unbaked yeast dough are only some of the most common toxic foods that could lead to serious illnesses among cats or dogs, from kidney failure and seizures to alcohol poisoning and hypoglycemia. Keep inquisitive noses away with a locking trash can while preventing counter surfing in order to prevent any accidental toxins from being consumed by your beloved four-legged friend!

#3: Household chemicals

Protect your pet from harm by securely storing the following hazardous chemicals away and out of reach:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

With so many beautiful house and outdoor plants available, it’s easy to forget that they can all be dangerous to your beloved pet. The majority of lilies are especially hazardous for cats – even coming in contact with the pollen could lead to death! Other common toxic plants include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plant, while ivy or oleander growing outdoors also pose a risk. To keep your family safe from harm, take time to review ASPCA’s list of toxic plants prior to purchasing any blooms for indoors or out.

#5: Batteries and coins

Should your pet mistakenly swallow a battery or coin, they are in danger of metal poisoning and chemical burns. Worse still, if the battery is intact when ingested it can create an intestinal blockage that may be fatal without proper medical care.

Don’t delay! Get in touch with our team if you suspect your pet has been exposed to a harmful substance.

Translate »